Friday, 03/05/2024, 11:50 AM

Home | Why isn't Shaw's Nightmare a (Z)Doom engine game? - Forum | Sign Up | Log In
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Shaw's Nightmare Boards » Shaw's Nightmare general discussion » Why isn't Shaw's Nightmare a (Z)Doom engine game?
Why isn't Shaw's Nightmare a (Z)Doom engine game?
zulc22dbDate: Thursday, 13/01/2022, 10:30 AM | Message # 1
Shaw
Group: Users
Shaw's Nightmare seems to be a Build engine game entirely designed to mimic the feel of a Doom WAD, but isn't one.

Why?

In fact, level 2 seems to literally just be a remake of Chex Quest E1M2...
what's the point of building it with an engine that doesn't have nearly
as much support for user modding or source ports?

Absolutely every single thing done in Shaw could be done in a GZDoom pk3

MickeyDate: Thursday, 20/01/2022, 7:48 PM | Message # 2
Shaw
Group: Administrators
Sorry of the late reply.

To answer your question, I didn't think about it at the time. I always wanted to make Shaw's Nightmare from scratch but lacked the knowledge to build a 3D engine, so I decided to use an existing engine.
When I chose the Build Engine, I had rethought the game concept to be more like the classic Build games and asked for some programmers. I got one. When he left, I decided to go back to the simpler concept of a Doom clone, since I thought it was easier for a one-man job.

TLDR Wanted to make the game from scratch but couldn't create a 3D engine so I decided to use the Build engine for the rendering and code the rest of the game from scratch.

-- Michael, the boy who makes Shaw's Nightmare

Forum » Shaw's Nightmare Boards » Shaw's Nightmare general discussion » Why isn't Shaw's Nightmare a (Z)Doom engine game?
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright Mickey Productions © 2024Hosted by uCoz